Regenerative Procedures Can Promote Healthy Tissue Regrowth
Dr. Navid Baradarian can provide both soft and hard tissue regenerative procedures, including bone grafting and gum grafting at our dental practice in New York, NY. With 15 years of experience, he has honed his craft to provide exceptional periodontal surgeries to deliver successful outcomes for our patients. Regenerative procedures are often used in combination with stimulating proteins to promote healthy gum and bone regrowth for patients with significant tissue loss who are interested in replacing missing teeth with dental implants. Because dental implants are surgically inserted into the jawbone, they require a sufficient amount of bone to fuse with in order to produce successful outcomes.
What Causes Gum Recession and Jawbone Degeneration?
Although poor oral hygiene is one of the leading causes of periodontal disease—which can negatively affect your gums and jawbone—other common causes of gum recession and jawbone degeneration can include:
- Untreated tooth extractions and tooth loss
- Dental misalignment
- Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disorder
- Improper brushing techniques or aggressive brushing
- Teeth grinding and jaw clenching (bruxism)
Types of Regenerative Procedures
As an experienced periodontist with over 15 years of experience, Dr. Baradarian can perform a number of regenerative procedures, including:
- Gum Grafting: When gum recession occurs, it not only makes your gum line appear uneven, but it can also increase your chances for developing gum disease. Unaddressed gum disease can lead to tooth loss and other serious conditions. During this procedure, Dr. Baradarian will take tissue from the top of your mouth and attach it to the recessed gums to stimulate healthy tissue regrowth.
- Bone Grafting: When a jawbone is no longer stimulated by supporting a tooth, it can slowly degenerate. Bone loss can cause dental misalignment, facial structural changes, gum disease, and further tooth loss. This procedure is often recommended for patients interested in replacing missing teeth in their upper or lower jaw with dental implants. Dr. Baradarian can insert harvested bone tissue in combination with stimulating proteins into your jawbone to encourage healthy bone growth.
- Sinus Lift: For patients with weak bone density or inadequate spacing in their upper jaw, Dr. Baradarian can insert bone tissue harvested from your own body or from a donor between the sinus membrane and your upper jawbone to provide a stable base for dental implants.
What to Expect during Treatment
During your initial consultation, Dr. Baradarian will perform a thorough evaluation of your teeth, gums, and jawbone with x-ray technology to determine the extent of damage and the best regenerative procedure suited for your needs. Once a treatment plan has been established, you can schedule your procedure.
On the day of the surgery, Dr. Baradarian can provide sedation with nitrous oxide or oral conscious sedation in combination with a local anesthetic to numb the soft and hard tissues while also providing you peace of mind. For patients who may require stronger sedation, an anesthesiologist can provide IV sedation.
Regenerative procedures are often used in combination with stimulating proteins to promote healthy gum and bone regrowth for patients with significant tissue loss who are interested in replacing missing teeth with dental implants.
Once you are comfortable, Dr. Baradarian will fold back the gums, remove any unhealthy bacteria, and perform the appropriate regenerative procedure. At our state-of-the-art facility, we can use tissue harvested from another area of your body, such as the roof of your mouth, chin, or hip, or from a donor. After the procedure is completed, you will be sent home with detailed postoperative instructions to ensure a smooth recovery with successful outcomes.
Schedule Your Consultation
As a qualified periodontist and implant specialist with over 15 years of experience, Dr. Baradarian is especially trained to provide regenerative procedures. He is a member of the American Academy of Periodontists and attends regular continuing education courses in order to provide the latest technologies and techniques for our patients. If you are interested in learning more about the regenerative procedures we provide and how they can benefit you, contact our office online or call (212) 581-4646 to schedule your consultation with Dr. Baradarian.