Reverse the Effects of Gum Disease with a Trusted Periodontist
Gum disease affects millions of people worldwide, and is usually caused by poor oral hygiene. Fortunately, Dr. Navid Baradarian is a qualified periodontist who can perform a wide range of gum disease treatments at our New York, NY, practice. At our facility, we provide both nonsurgical and surgical treatments, such as LANAP® laser therapy and scaling and root planing to heal infection and establish a healthy periodontal environment for your smile to thrive.
What Is Gum Disease?
Gum disease is a bacterial infection that causes inflammation along your gum line. If left untreated, it can lead to gum recession, bone degeneration, and tooth loss. In more severe cases, it can also affect your overall physical health. Research has proven there is a correlation between your oral and physical health. When bacteria is left unchecked, not only will it progress into gum disease, but it may even lead to serious health conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, and stroke.
Although gum disease is treatable by a general practitioner, seeing a periodontist such as Dr. Baradarian will provide you with more focused and comprehensive care.
Although the primary cause of gum disease is linked to poor oral hygiene and unaddressed plaque buildup, other causes include:
- Smoking and other tobacco use
- Hormonal changes
- Bruxism (teeth grinding and jaw clenching)
Progression of Gum Disease
Gum disease (periodontitis) is a progressive condition defined by the following phases.
- Gingivitis: As the earliest stage of gum disease, symptoms are generally mild and often reversible with professional treatment and a routine oral hygiene regimen. Symptoms include swollen gums, redness, and bleeding during brushing and flossing.
- Periodontitis: During this stage, bacteria overgrowth will penetrate the gum line, causing pockets of infection between and around the teeth, leading to gum recession, bad breath, and dental sensitivity. Once teeth and gums reach this stage, both soft and hard tissues are irreversibly impaired and will require routine professional periodontal surgical treatments to prevent further damage from occurring.
- Advanced Periodontitis: At this stage, bone degeneration is so severe that teeth will begin shifting and loosening, leading to severe dental misalignment, malocclusion, and mouth pain. Although some surgical and restorative treatments are available to repair damage, a tooth extraction may be necessary if damage is too severe.
Signs and Symptoms of Gum Disease
- Gum recession
- Red, swollen, and sensitive gums
- Dental sensitivity
- Shifting teeth with noticeable gaps
- Chronic bad breath
- Bleeding gums, especially during brushing and flossing
- Visible signs of infection
- Teeth or mouth pain
How is Gum Disease Treated?
When gum disease is detected in its earliest stages, it is often reversible. However, in more severe cases, more complex treatments will be required to keep it from worsening. Although gum disease is treatable by a general practitioner, seeing a periodontist such as Dr. Baradarian will provide you with more focused and comprehensive care. Dr. Baradarian offers a variety of nonsurgical and surgical treatments to correct gum disease.
- Scaling and Root Planing: Dr. Baradarian can provide a deep cleaning that includes special dental instrumentation to remove plaque buildup from the base of the tooth and below the gum line and to smooth the tooth roots. He may also apply an antibiotic ointment to your gums to treat infection.
- Tray Delivery Systems: Customized trays are designed to use in combination with medication and worn for 30 minutes each day to help heal your gums.
- Traditional Gum Graft Surgery: Dr. Baradarian will take soft tissue from the roof of your mouth and surgically attach it to replace infected or recessed gum tissue.
- LANAP Laser Periodontal Surgery: This advanced treatment uses laser therapy to regenerate healthy gum tissue.
- Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique: This minimally invasive treatment requires no sutures or scalpel, and can effectively correct gum recession.
- Pocket Reduction Procedures: Dr. Baradarian will surgically remove unhealthy bacteria from beneath the gum line and then tighten the tissue surrounding your teeth.
- Regenerative Procedures: When bone loss has occurred, Dr. Baradarian can gently fold back your gum tissue and apply stimulating proteins to promote healthy bone and gum regeneration.
Benefits of Gum Disease Treatment
Patients who undergo gum disease treatment are able to protect their long-term oral health, as well as:
- Improve their appearance
- Experience less pain when smiling, brushing, and eating
- Improve their overall physical health
- Improve their confidence and quality of life
- Prevent further damage from occurring
To prevent gum disease from occurring, you can implement a healthy oral hygiene and visit Dr. Baradarian for a routine exam. To learn more about gum disease the treatments we offer, contact our practice today to schedule your consultation.